I love essential oils and have been using them in so many different ways for a few years. I even have my dad hooked and he runs a diffuser now!
My favorite essential oil company is Edens Garden. A woman owned company, Edens Garden started in 2009 in San Clemente, CA. They’re a non-MLM company offering 100% pure therapeutic grade essential oils. They’ve also recently expanded their product offering to now include synergy blends, diffusers, natural deodorants, and candles! I love that they have a 30 day no-questions asked return policy and a super informative website including this fun Essential Oil Matchmaker tool!
What is an essential oil?
Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants through practices like distillation or cold pressing. The extracted compounds or oil reflect the plant’s scent and properties. There are over 100 different essential oils so there really is an oil for everything and everyone!
What are some of the most common essential oils & their uses?
- Lemon – Used to aid headaches and mood
- Lavender – Used to relieve stress and provide a sense of relaxation
- Peppermint – Used to aid digestion and boost mental clarity
- Ylang Ylang – Used to promote a sense of peace and boost mood
- Tea Tree – Used to boost immune systems and treat infections
What are essential oils used for?
Most commonly, essential oils are used for aromatherapy. At the beginning of a massage or at the end of a yoga class, you may notice essential oils used in the space to provide a sense of relaxation and tranquility. Really though, there are so many different ways to use essential oils.
Here are some of my favorite ways to use essential oils:
1. Rosemary & Mint Spa Shampoo – Add 3 drops of peppermint and rosemary per ounce of your shampoo. Combine and wash hair like normally, focusing on massaging into the scalp. The peppermint provides a cooling sensation while the rosemary increases circulation and is said to help with hair growth. The smell is fresh and spalike, upgrading your normal shampoo routine!
2. Scented Stationery – Place up to three drops of your favorite essential oils on a cotton ball and place inside a plastic bag with your stationary. Close the bag and let sit overnight so your stationery has time to absorb all that essential oil goodness! I love using citrus oils for summertime mail or allspice or cinnamon around the holiday season!
3. Nightly Relaxation Diffuser – Place five to ten drops of your favorite relaxation blend (mine is Sleep Ease) into your diffuser thirty minutes before bed. Complete your nightly wind down routine and fall asleep peacefully. Edens Garden also has a Good Night blend available and I love the scent but for some reason I feel like it makes my mouth water. It’s a weird thing that’s maybe just me so I use the Sleep Ease but both smell heavenly!
4. Yoga Mat Cleaner – Combine six drops of lavender, twelve drops of sweet orange, and six drops of tea tree with 2oz distilled water and 2 tsp of grain alcohol in a spray bottle. I love using this blend to clean my mat and keep it smelling fresh!
5. Secret Bathroom Smell Good – Place two drops of your favorite essential oil on the inside of your toilet paper roll to keep your bathroom smelling good.
6. Workout Towel – After a workout session, there’s nothing better than a chilled towel! I like to take a small microfiber washcloth and get it damp. I then add three drops of an essential oil. If I’m going to do a lunch break spin class, I like an energizing or citrus blend. If I’m practicing an evening yoga class, I love something a little warmer/woodsy or even lavender. I then roll up the washcloth, place in a ziplock bag, and toss in the freezer. I’ll grab it on my way to workout since the towel thaws during my practice. At the end of my workout I know I’ve enjoyed my recovery and relax with the towel placed across my face or on the back of my neck. A quick and simple way to elevate your home workouts!
7. Sponge Refresher – Sprinkle a few drops of a citrus essential oil directly on your sponge. I, personally, love lemon eucalyptus in the kitchen! Wash in the top rack of your dishwasher to have a disinfected and fresh smelling sponge again!
If you’re looking for even more ways to enjoy essential oils, check out Edens Garden’s 150 Ways To Use Essential Oils guide! What are your favorite ways to use essential oils around your home?